Trip Information for Southeast Alaska and Boardwalk Lodge
Below are a number of frequently asked questions. If your question is not addressed below, please contact us for more information.
- How much does a trip cost?
- Where is Alaska’s Boardwalk Lodge?
- How do we get there?
- When is the best time to book airfare?
- What weather conditions can we expect?
- What’s the time zone and when is sunrise and sunset?
- What are check-in and check-out times at Alaska’s Boardwalk Lodge?
- What clothing should I bring?
- Do I need bug spray?
- Can I bring my own fishing gear and tackle?
- How do we get to freshwater lakes and streams?
- What kinds of fishing boats are available?
- How long can I fish with a Guide or Captain each day?
- How do I obtain an Alaska fishing license?
- How is my fish handled?
- What activities are available for children?
- Do you offer beverage service?
- Can I use my cell phone?
- Do you have high-speed Internet?
Where is Alaska’s Boardwalk Lodge?
Boardwalk Lodge is located on Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska – a short 30-minute floatplane ride west of Ketchikan. It is positioned on the North East corner of the island, facing Alaska’s famous Inside Passage.
How much does it cost?
Current season rates are published on our Lodge Rates page, including peak season and reduced pricing for shoulder season packages. Published group and child rate discounts may be announced, as well as allowances for non-fishing guests.
How do we get there?
Guests traveling from the “lower 48” fly to Seattle’s SeaTac airport, take a 90-minute commercial flight to Ketchikan, then a breathtakingly beautiful 30-minute floatplane from Ketchikan to the dock at Boardwalk Lodge.
→ More about Getting Here
When is the best time to book airfare?
It’s tempting to wait for that magical ticket price, but don’t wait too long! Sooner is much better than later. Air travel in Alaska is unique, and with Alaska’s relatively limited service, summer travel can get hectic and flights can fill up quick. There are 2 critical reasons to book your flights to Ketchikan soon:
- Floatplane Transportation. Getting here requires that we secure roundtrip floatplane transportation for you between Ketchikan and the Lodge (included in your package). Because demand for these floatplanes is extremely high, it’s critical that we make your reservation as soon as possible, so your itinerary isn’t impacted. We need your flight schedule before we can do that.
- Commercial Airlines. Alaska Airlines and Delta are the only commercial airlines that fly into Ketchikan International. Between these two airlines, there are, at most, only 3 flights that work well with Lodge check-in/check-out times. You want to ensure you can get seats on these flights (Arrival: AA #67, AA #789, Delta. Departure: AA #62, AA #178, Delta.).
If you’re looking for savings, check Alaska Airlines Companion Fares for a special offer on a companion ticket. You’ll find details on their website.
What weather conditions can we expect?
Southeast Alaska is a temperate rain forest with weather conditions similar to Seattle, Washington. These mild Alaska temperatures often range from 45° to upwards of 75° F during peak fishing season.
→ More about Southeast Alaska Weather
- Check-in time is 5:30 p.m. You need to arrange your transportation to arrive in Ketchikan prior to 5 p.m.
- Check-out time is 10 a.m. on the day of departure (all times are local). This will enable you to catch a 12 p.m. or later commercial flight from Ketchikan.
Be sure to let the reservationist know of any special needs when booking, so that appropriate arrangements can be made for your party.
What clothing should I bring?
Plan to layer comfortable clothing for temperatures ranging from 45-75 degrees. Casual dress is appropriate for dinner.
→ For more detail, see our Packing List
Do I need bug spray?
Depending on the season and weather and wind conditions, guests can expect little more than a mild threat from airborne pests. Boardwalk Lodge staff work hard to control mosquito and No-See-Um populations around the lodge, and DEET based repellent and protective netting are available for your comfort.
Can I bring my own fishing gear and tackle?
Boardwalk Lodge is noted for its superior quality equipment and provides all the rods, reels, waders, and protective gear you will need for a successful fishing experience.
Guests who prefer to bring their own gear are welcome to do so. However, please note:
- Felt bottom boots for freshwater anglers are banned in Alaska.
- Additional weight due to personal gear may limit the amount of fish that you are able to fly out.
How do we get to freshwater lakes and streams?
Boardwalk Lodge is unique among Alaska’s fishing lodges in that it is close to both fresh and saltwater fishing. This makes costly and time-consuming fly-outs unnecessary, though they can be arranged at an added cost. The lodge boasts 23 fishable lakes, streams, and rivers within a short, scenic drive, and a fleet of Suburbans to get you to the fish quickly, comfortably, and safely.
What kinds of fishing boats are available?
Only the best! Each of our new or nearly new 26 foot V-Hull Cuddy style boats has a heated cabin with sanitary facilities, GPS navigation, fish finders and radio communication equipment onboard. Just 4 guests to a vessel. These boats are particularly well-suited for Alaska fishing, water and weather conditions. Boat captains are all U.S. Coast Guard Certified and trained in CPR and first aid.
How long can I fish with a Guide or Captain each day?
Captains and guides are scheduled for nine hours fishing time each day, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Additional hours may be arranged with the lodge manager at his discretion for a moderate per-hour cost.
How do I obtain an Alaska fishing license?
Prior to your trip, you will submit guest information that will be used to prepare your fishing license and King Stamp (if applicable). It will be waiting at the lodge when you arrive. The cost is included in your package.
How is my fish handled?
Our staff expertly prepares fish for you to transport from Southeast Alaska to your home. The lodge crew will clean and fillet or steak the meat. We then vacuum pack each portion and freeze and box the fish for your return trip.
→ More about Fish Processing
What activities are available for children?
Boardwalk Lodge is an ideal place for great family vacations. Daycare or babysitting service is not available so please don’t bring younger children along without someone to care for them during the day.
Children are welcome to make use of all guest amenities available:
- Kayaking (with adults)
- Jacuzzi (under 16 with adult supervision)
- Nature hikes on nearby trails
- Dock fishing
Do you offer beverage service?
Boat coolers are stocked with your choice of soft drinks, bottled water and popular beer brands. House wine and beer are available free of charge, while you enjoy a delicious assortment of appetizers and hors d’oeuvres.
We stock an assortment of other alcoholic beverages for purchase. Premium wines by the glass and mixed drinks are available for a nominal fee.
Can I use my cell phone?
Verizon has the most reliable cellular service here on the Island. AT&T service is spotty, and T-mobile is virtually non-existant. Interestingly, AT&T’s signal outperforms all others on the ocean.
If you can’t get a cellular signal, you may be able to use the WiFi calling mode on your smartphone (WiFi is available in, and directly around, the guest buildings). We do have a lodge phone you can use if necessary.
Do you have high-speed Internet?
Internet service can only be delivered to our remote location via satellite. Our connection is reliable, but probably not what you’re used to at home. We regularly have download speeds around 25 Mbps, with uploads around 1 Mbps. Our WiFi network is free and available to guests in close proximity to guest buildings.