Getting to Southeast Alaska
Travel Options to Boardwalk Lodge
Alaska's Boardwalk Lodge is located on Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska. Guests traveling outside Alaska, in the Continental United States, will typically fly to Seattle's SeaTac airport, then take a 90-minute Alaska Airlines flight to Ketchikan. Check in at the lodge is typically 4pm. However, early arrival to the lodge is possible, but coordinating any adventures or activities on the day of arrival or departure will likely be an extra cost.
From Ketchikan you travel to the lodge typically one of three ways:
- The inter-island ferry (https://interislandferry.com) to Hollis about a 1.5 hour drive to the lodge
- A small commercial plane on Island Air Express (https://islandairx.com) to Klawock about a 45 minute drive to the lodge
- An arranged chartered float plane direct to the dock at the lodge
If you choose the ferry or small commercial plane and we will pick you up from either location for a small fee. Or we will arrange a scenic floatplane flight for you to the Lodge for an additional cost. This breathtaking, 30-minute floatplane ride will take you from Ketchikan directly to Boardwalk's dock.
If you choose the arranged chartered float plane direct to the lodge please review these details as they are important:
- The chartered arrival floatplane will be scheduled to leave Ketchikan International Airport at 5:00pm to arrive at the lodge at 5:30pm. You should plan to arrive in Ketchikan before 4:30pm. It may be possible to arrange an earlier departure, however, there may be an additional cost. To minimize the cost, the chartered float plane is arranged for all arriving guests that day and any special arrangements may have an additional cost.
- The chartered departure floatplane will be schedule to leave the lodge at 10:00am. The reason for this is that the weather, specifically fog, can be very unpredictable and may prevent the float plane from landing or taking off. We recommend that you schedule departure from Ketchikan International in the afternoon. Like the arrival, it may be possible to make schedule changes but a special arrangement may have an additional cost.
In most cases guests will fly into Ketchikan via Alaska Airlines. Depending on what time you arrive in Ketchikan you may need to stay the night in Ketchikan. This is not something that the lodge will arrange for you, but we can assist with recommendations. Schedule your flight to and from Ketchikan to work with your preferred travel arrangements to the lodge. If we are assisting you with floatplane travel, we recommend you arrive in Ketchikan before 4pm or you may have to stay the night in Ketchikan. Commercial departures are recommend in the early afternoon as morning fog can delay floatplane departures from the lodge.
Most private and corporate aircraft fly into Ketchikan, Alaska, where the party is then shuttled directly to our dock via floatplane. However, some planes can fly into Klawock, Alaska (45 min. drive) and tie-downs are available. If you're landing in Klawock, call ahead and we'll meet you on the tarmac.